The Scion xD debuted at the 2007 Chicago Auto Show and replaces the subcompact xA in the Scion lineup. Sharing the same platform with the Toyota Yaris, the xD is a five-door hatchback just like the xA but offers a more aggressive look and more power. The xD has nearly the same length and height as the xA but it is about an inch wider and 3.6-inch longer wheelbase. Highlighted by a wide stance, thick muscular body, accentuated wheel flares and large tires, the xD has a short and wide frame that is designed to give it better handling and comfort.
Aggressive style, sharp handling, and excellent fuel economy are traits that have become associated with Scion since its inception a few years ago. With the departure of the outgoing xA hatchback, the 2008 Scion xD is a marked improvement in performance, refinement, and exterior styling, and buyers are eager to start tweaking, customizing, and tuning.
The xD comes with a punchy 1.8 liter 16-valve DOHC 4-cylinder engine with VVT-i variable valve timing, making 128 horsepower and 125 lb.-ft. of torque. As with all Scion models, the xD has excellent fuel economy, delivering ratings of 27 city/33 highway with the 5-speed manual transmission. A 4-speed automatic delivers 26 city/32 highway MPG.
Whether playing a gig, carting your friends around town, or bringing home the bounty from a big shopping trip, the xD comes loaded with features and equipment to make the ride a delight. A booming 160-watt Pioneer® AM/FM/CD head unit with MP3 and satellite radio compatibility combines with Scion Sound Processing (SSP), only to be thrown in the mix with 6-speaker sound system and iPod connector to please the most discerning audiophiles. Power junkies can revel in the standard air conditioning, power windows, locks, and mirrors, cruise control, and multifunctional information display. And the 60/40 split folding rear seat will slide and recline to accommodate some serious loads.
Scion offers a wide range of accessories to fully customize the xD. Starting with a Scion Navigation System you can choose either XM® or SIRIUS® Satellite Radio. TRD (Toyota Racing Development) offers sweet 18” silver or black alloy wheels that provide some serious bling. Tuners and performance enthusiasts, take note: you can also get an entire line of TRD aftermarket parts, including a performance air filter, sport muffler, lowering springs, quickshifter, and suspension bits like a front strut tower brace and rear sway bar.
Even with all the go-fast goodies, safety features have not been overlooked in the xD. Passive dual front airbags are standard, while side curtain airbags for the front and rear seats are also available to protect your upper torso and head in the event of an impact. An Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), front seat belt pre-tensioners, and 3-point anchor seat belts on all five seats come standard to assist with the security of all passengers.
The word out on the streets is the 2008 Scion xD is the new must-have ride for those who live off the beaten path, and if the initial reaction is any indication, this new four-door hatchback is going to be shaking up neighborhoods all over.
• 60/40-split folding, reclining and sliding rear seat
• Air conditioning
• Auxiliary audio input and iPod jacks
• Cargo area under-floor storage
• Choice of three wheel cover designs
• Chrome exhaust tip
• Cruise control
• Cup holders
• Deep orange instrument panel illumination
• Digital clock
• Driver and front passenger dual stage airbags SRS
• Driver and front passenger sunvisor with mirror
• First-aid kit
• Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist
• Front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags
• Front sport bucket seats with fabric upholstery
• Headrests and three-point seatbelts in all five seating positions
• Intermittent front wiper
• Multi-information display
• Multi-reflector halogen headlamps
• Pioneer 160-watt maximum output AM/FM/CD head unit (MP3/WMA and satellite-tuner capable) with iPod compatibility, six speakers, Scion Sound Processing, a user-customizable welcome screen, and Sound Retouch digital equalization for clearer MP3/WMA-CD sound
• Power door locks, outside mirrors, and windows with one-touch auto down on driver’s side
• Rear window defogger
• Rear wiper
• Remote keyless entry
• Roof-mounted antenna
• Side mirrors with turn indicators
• Tachometer and trip meter
• Tilt steering wheel with audio controls
• Tire pressure monitor system